In May 1935 an historic meeting took place in a room above the Fruit and Vegetable Shop of Mr. James Day in Institute Road. From this beginning sprang Swanage Sailing Club. The Clubs aims then, as now, were to encourage the art of sailing for pleasure and competition.
The man responsible for convening this meeting and the Clubs first Commodore was Dr G. W. S. de Jersey. The winner of the first race was Mr. Llew. Hardy, They raced traditional clinker built craft with no safety cover, no life jackets, no reserve bouyancy but with considerable seamanship.
The present Club whilst losing none of it’s enthusiasm for traditional sailing has embraced a whole new range of craft, including Wayfarers, Lasers, Toppers and Darts. Swanage provides the complete spectrum of weather conditions for sailing. In the Bay there is sheltered sailing for the novice whilst to seaward, high speed action for the more experienced sailor.
There is a full sailing season with many cup races, exchange visits from other clubs, and Spring Summer and Autumn Series of races. The Club holds a Regatta week in conjunction with the town carnival week and open meetings for various classes of boat.
The new Club House, situated on Buck Shore, Swanage was opened by the Rt. Hon Sir Edward Heath KG, MBE, MP on the 10th August 1996 and has it’s own bar, galley, showers and changing rooms. The Clubs atmosphere has always been friendly, and enjoys a high proportion of Family memberships.
The Social activities are an integral part of the Clubs programme and during the winter and summer, includes parties, barbecues and children’s water sports as well as more formal occasions. The Club is always happy to welcome new members whether experienced sailors or those new to the pleasure of “messing about in boats”.